You have a superior protection option.
Protect your home and eliminate drywood termite colonies by choosing whole-structure fumigation with Vikane gas fumigant. Only whole-structure fumigation ensures the elimination of drywood termites. And Vikane has been trusted for over 40 years for treatment of more than 2 million structures. It’s your best option for total home drywood termite protection.
Eliminate drywood termites with Vikane
While many spot treatments only reach accessible areas in your home for partial or temporary results. Vikane gas fumigation penetrates every inch of your home where termites hide.
Unlike other treatments available, only whole structure fumigation is proven to eliminate drywood termite colonies. It spreads into every nook and cranny of your home penetrating into the pores of wood to reach the air that termites breathe – so termites can’t survive.
Fumigation tent- Anaheim, Orange County, California
Depend on a proven process for success
Fumigating with Vikane means following an established 24 to 48 hour treatment process. Your professional fumigator uses this proven process to help ensure effective elimination of drywood termites and effective aeration of your home. It includes:
Covering your home with tarps – “Tenting”
After your home has been prepared for fumigation, your professional fumigator tents it with large tarps, gets the interior ready and seals all tarps.
Releasing a warning agent
Once your home has been tented, the warning agent (Chloropicrin) is released into the structure. Chloropicrin helps ensure the home is vacated of people and pets prior to fumigation with Vikane.
All the doors to your home are secured with additional locking devices designed to prevent entry by anyone except the licensed fumigator.
Fumigation with Vikane
Next, Vikane is introduced into the home. The fumigant penetrates deep into wood to eliminate the drywood termites.
Aeration and Certification
When the fumigation is complete, your fumigator aerates your home and uses sophisticated detection equipment to verify that your home has been effectively aerated. Once your home is clear, your fumigator certifies it so your family can re-enter with confidence.
(714)632-3600 – OFFICE (714)238-0384 – FAX
The challenging steps of fumigation
Why buildings are fumigated
Insects that feed or tunnel into wood can seriously damage houses, apartments and other dwellings or structures. Each year termites or other wood destroying insects damage approximately two million homes. Depending on the extent or location of the infestation. Fumigation is the only total control method proven to eliminate certain infestations of wood destroying insects.
How buildings are fumigated
Since Vikane is a gas, prior to fumigation the structure is completely sealed. This serves to contain Vikane in the building so it can penetrate wood thoroughly and eliminate the pest. Depending on the construction of the building, the doors and windows may be sealed with tape and plastic sheet, or the structure may be covered with a tarp. The building will remain sealed 4 to 72 hours depending on the specifics of the job (a typical home will be covered 16 to 24 hours then aerated 6 to 24 hours). Warning signs are posted around the building, notifying people to keep out.
After the tarp or tape is removed, a professional fumigator will aerate the structure by opening the doors and windows. Fans may also be used to clear out the building. Once the dwelling has been thoroughly aerated, the fumigator is required to measure the level of any fumigant remaining in the living spaces to ensure it is below the EPA approved concentration for re-entry by the occupant. Extremely low levels of fumigant can remain for a short period of time in dead air spaces between walls and inside cabinets as well as porous materials such as furniture. The small amount of fumigant in these areas will continue to dissipate for a few hours after the fumigation; at levels well below the established safe for re-entry concentration. Your building should not be cleared for re-0occupancy until it is safe to re-enter. The fumigator will post a notice on your building indicating the day and time for re-entry. Because Vikane is a true gas and not a vapor, aeration is rapid. Recent studies demonstrate that in most structures levels are less than 1 part per million within 6 hours of clearing and have no detectable levels of Vikane within 24 hours after the start of aeration.
Safety precautions by homeowners
Discuss the treatment program with your inspector in advance so you fully understand what will be done and what you need to do. Carefully follow the instructions you are given about the items you are to remove from your building. Stay out of the treated building until it is cleared for re-entry.
For more information, please contact us at (714)632-3600 or (800)585-5424.
Here is what you need to do.
What do I need to do to prepare for the fumigation with Vikane gas fumigant?
In addition to the work performed by your fumigator, it is your responsibility to help prepare your home for the fumigation. Taking the following steps prior to fumigation helps ensure its success, resulting in the elimination of dry wood termites from your home. Check with your fumigator for additional home preparation information.
The day before the fumigation…
- Water the soil up to 18 inches from the outer walls of your home to protect outdoor plants and shrubs.
- Cut back foliage, shrubbery and landscaping at least 18 inches from the structure to allow room for the tarps..
- Remember to make arrangements for overnight accommodations for you and your pets as your home may be under fumigation for 24 to 48 hours.
- Please keep in mind the fumigation may need to be rescheduled if the weather is uncooperative. High winds and rain may hinder a fumigation and potential danger to fumigators.
The day of the fumigation…
- Remove all plants from your home, including those on outdoor patios.
- Evacuate all people and pets from structure.
- Remove mattresses completely enveloped in plastic, such as baby mattresses with water- proof covers or remove the covers themselves.
- Remove or double bag any food, feed, drugs and medicinals in special Nylofume bags your fumigator provides. You do not need to bag or remove items in plastic, glass or metal bottles, cans or jars with the original manufacture’s airtight seal intact.
- Seal the Nylofume bags one at a 6time by twisting the tops or folding down and sealing with tape, twisty ties, string or rubber bands. DO NOT TIE BAGS IN A KNOT. Your fumigator can provide special instructions on proper bagging procedures for you.
- Double bag cold and frozen foods and leave them in the refrigerator and freezer to make it easier to stack the bags inside.
- Be sure to remove or double bag anything that will be ingested (medicine, spices, etc.)
After the fumigation…
- It is unnecessary to wash dishes, linens, clothing etc, as Vikane is a gas and will dissipate from the structure.
- Remember, once your fumigation is complete all drywood termites in your structure should be eliminated.
Ask your fumigator to help you determine additional items that need to be double bagged or removed prior to fumigation. A good rule of thumb is “when in doubt – take it out”. Here some examples.
Double bag or remove these items:
- Chips, pasta, rice and other foods packaged in plastic bags.
- Cereals, crackers and other foods packaged in cardboard boxes (even if the boxes have never been opened.)
- Spices, salt and pepper shakers and other items where the seal has been broken.
- Ice, opened bottled drinking water.
- Butter, cream cheese and any other items stored in resealed containers, including items stored in Tupperware containers.
- Fruits and vegetables
- Bags of pet food and bird seed as well as opened cans.
You need not bag or remove these items:
- Unopened cans (including home canned goods)
- Cosmetics, such as lipstick
- Unopened soda cans and glass bottles
- Shampoo, soaps
- Unopened bottles of liquor and wine (stored horizontally).
If you have any questions about how to prepare your home for fumigation, please don’t hesitate to call us.
Address: Suncrest Exterminating, Inc.
1115 E. Kimberly Ave.
Anaheim, California 92801
Local Phone: 714-632-3600